The Best Online Gambling Sites in Sweden - 2020
Gambling Laws in Sweden
Gambling in Sweden is considered to be legal in all of its terrestrial as well as online forms. The Swedish Gambling Act together with its various amendments is the main source of the Swedish gambling regulations. The body responsible for ensuring that the Swedish gaming and gambling market is legal, safe and reliable is the Swedish Gambling Authority. The Swedish Gambling Authority is controlled by the Ministry of Finance and its Board is appointed by the Swedish Government. The Swedish gambling market is declaratively open for the entrance of various gambling operators in almost all fields. Legal gambling in Sweden also requires that players are at least 18 years old, with some online sites demanding a minimum age of 20 for having permission to play.
Is Online Gambling Legal in Sweden?
Yes. All forms of online gambling are legal in Sweden.
Online Casinos in Sweden
Svenska Spel AB, a state-owned company, is the largest operator on the Swedish casino market. Through its subsidiary, the Casino Cosmopol, it operates casinos in Stockholm, Gothenburg, Malmö, and Sundsvall. However, with the latest changes of the Swedish Gambling Act, the law provides the possibility for licensing other online casinos in Sweden as well. Until December 2018, Svenska Spel held the only Swedish online casino license.
Online Poker in Sweden
Since the Swedish Gambling Authority released the new laws that the offer of online poker in Sweden has increased. However, nothing has really changed for Swedish online poker players. Gambling websites like Unibet Poker or PokerStars were fully available in the country as they were ignoring the Swedish online poker laws for the past years. Nevertheless, liberalizing the market is an important step as it will bring more protection to consumers. Players are now legally entitled to play in global platforms such as Party Poker, having access to bigger and more innovating communities and prizes.
Online Lottery in Sweden
Online lottery in Sweden is also expanding with the new laws. After the digitalization of lotto games in August of 2002, when the Swedish Gambling Authority made several changes of the Lotteries Act, Svenska Spel became the main organizer of online lotto games in Sweden. Currently, some of the available lottery games in Sweden, such as the Sweden Lotto, Viking Lotto or Eurojackpot, can be played not only within Sweden or Scandinavia but all over the world as well. Moreover, in accordance with the new Swedish online lottery laws, other online lottery sites will also be available, offering more opportunities and better jackpots.
Online Bingo in Sweden
Private operators who satisfy the formal requirements can now request a license for online bingo in Sweden. However, as the Swedish Gambling Authority doesn’t consider it bingo, there are no specific Swedish online bingo laws. And due to the previous monopoly, Svenska Spel still dominates the market, offering bingo rooms and possibilities for single as well as multiplayer bingo games. But this is expected to change with time. Swedish players are now legally able to play in more platforms, as listed on the online bingo directory in Sweden.
Online Sports betting in Sweden
The offer of legal online sportsbook sites in Sweden is also growing with the new regulations. Until December 2018, Svenska Spel held the monopoly. Most of their sports betting games can be played on their website, including the popular Oddset games. Another important betting operator in the country was the AB Trav och Galopp (ATG), which provides betting on horse races in accordance with the Swedish online gambling laws. ATG is in major part (90 %) owned by the Swedish Trotting Association (Svensk Travsport) while the remaining 10% belong to the Swedish Jockey Club (Svensk Galopp). Now, other Swedish operators that are based abroad, like Betsson or Betsafe Sportsbook, will also be able to legally provide their services to Swedish gamblers.
Online DFS in Sweden
Online DFS sites in Sweden do not have a legally regulated status. There is an ongoing debate on the status of this type of game, but considering the legality of online sports betting in the country, it is very probable that internet Daily Fantasy Sports will eventually receive legal status in Sweden.